Tel: +44 (0)20 7377 0800
Fax: +44 (0)20 7349 5157
Tel: +81 (0)80-1164-4754
Request a Demo
What our customers are saying
When I think of the future, I think of EvaluatePharma
Global pharmaceutical company
Pharma R&D Pipeline Value Jumps 18 Percent to $493 Billion, Drug Sales Forecast to Grow Nearly Five Percent Annually
Annual “EvaluatePharma World Preview 2015, Outlook to 2020” report shows continued pharma and biotech sector confidence
2015 BIO International Convention
LONDON, BOSTON, TOKYO (June 16, 2015) — Emerging therapeutic categories and a string of breakthrough drug approvals are powering key drug sales across the US and Europe, fueling a projected 5 percent increase in global prescription sales over the next five years according to the “EvaluatePharma World Preview 2015, Outlook to 2020” report from life science market intelligence firm Evaluate Ltd. With the FDA approving an unprecedented 50 drugs in 2014, eight of which are forecast to have sales of more than $1 billion five years after launch, sustained R&D productivity may finally be within reach.
“Any fears that the pharmaceutical industry might be heading towards a slowdown after the last two years of phenomenal growth can be put to rest for now,” said Lisa Urquhart, Editor of EP Vantage, the editorial arm of Evaluate. “However, for the industry to sustain this impressive growth they will have to make compromises around global pricing and market access. As such, pharmaceutical companies need to either accept lower prices for its products, or persuade payers that the therapeutic benefits outweigh the cost of disease.”
World Preview 2015 Highlights:
- Worldwide prescription drug sales to reach nearly one trillion dollars by 2020 with a CAGR of 4.8 percent between 2014 and 2020
- 2014 US prescription drug sales surge 8.9 percent; Europe returns to growth with a 2.4 percent jump while Japanese sales in yen dropped by 2.6 percent
- R&D pipeline values increase to $492.8 billion from $418.5 billion in 2014; Gilead’s potential new combination hepatitis C product valued highest at $24.8 billion
- Humira remained the top-selling product in 2014 with sales of $13.9 billion; Sovaldi debuts at number two with sales of $10 billion
- FDA approves record-breaking 50 new drugs in 2014 with a 43 percent increase in five-year post-launch sales potential; Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Opdivo was the number one approval
- Novartis will remain the number one pharmaceutical company through 2020 with total prescription drug sales of $53.3 billion
- Value of M&A transactions almost doubled to $116 billion in 2014; value of venture financing deals leapt 36 percent to $8.2 billion
The “EvaluatePharma World Preview 2015, Outlook to 2020” report, based on market intelligence and consensus forecasts from EvaluatePharma®, can be downloaded at www.evaluategroup.com/WP2015. Evaluate’s Head of Research, Anthony Raeside, will be on-hand at the 2015 BIO International Convention to discuss the report findings at Evaluate’s Booth #2111. A hard-copy Executive Summary of the report is also available at the booth.
About Evaluate Ltd.
Evaluate is the trusted source for life science market intelligence and analysis with exclusive consensus forecasts to 2020. We support life science and healthcare companies, financial institutions, consultancies and service providers in their strategic decision-making. Our services include EvaluatePharma, EvaluateClinical Trials and EvaluateMedTech. Our global team of dedicated healthcare analysts employs rigorous methodologies to deliver strategic commercial analysis. We make our services valuable by combining superior quality content, user-friendly reporting tools and outstanding customer service to solve client problems.
For more information visit: www.evaluategroup.com. On Twitter: @evaluatepharma, @evaluatemedtech, @epclinicaltrial, @epvantage, @evaluateJP.
Back to Press Releases